“Pure Michigan Pink” Recognizes Breast Cancer Awareness Month
To recognize October as National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, we’re 'going pink'! In order to increase awareness of this major cause of cancer deaths in Michigan women and promote available information resources, all official State of Michigan social media accounts will be updating their channels during the month of October to support the cause.
The ‘M’ in the Pure Michigan logo, usually seen in blue or green, will be made pink in social media profile images and platform backgrounds, including Pure Michigan’s Facebook and Twitter channels.
We encourage those interested in raising awareness and joining the fight against breast cancer to check out one of the following events. Please note that this is just a small sample of events happening in communities across Michigan to raise awareness. To find events happening in your local community, please visit the Making Strides website.
Ann Arbor, MI
Making Strides of Ann Arbor – October 26, 2013
The Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk in Ann Arbor takes place on Saturday, October 26th this year at Washtenaw Community College. Learn more at the organization’s website.
University of Michigan Athletic Events in Support of Breast Cancer Awareness - October 12, 2013 & October 19,2013.
Different teams from the University of Michigan will be wearing pink as part of their uniforms.
- October 12th 2013 : U of M Volleyball Game against Iowa, 7:00 p.m.
- October 19th 2013: U of M Football Game against Indiana, 3:30 p.m.
For more information, visit the website.
Big Rapids, MI
Paint Big Rapids Pink- October 1, 2013 – October 31, 2013
The Big Rapids Hospital Foundation is increasing awareness of breast health and the free services offered at the Susan P. Wheatlake Cancer and Wellness Center located at Spectrum Health Big Rapids Hospital by hosting its month-long “Paint Big Rapids Pink” celebration. Events include:
- October 7, 2013: Stiletto Sprint, 5:30 p.m. - Downtown Big Rapids
- October 7th 2013: “Girls Night Out – Shades of Pink,” 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. – Natural Beauty Salon and Day Spa
- October 7, 2013: “Boys Night Out,” 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. – Cranker’s Brewery
- October 9th and 16th 2013: Wheatlake Center Open Houses, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. – Spectrum Health Big Rapids Hospital
- October 12, 2013: "Night of Wine for Days of Hope" Wine and Craft Beer Tasting, 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. - Big Rapids Elks
- October 18, 2013: “Rolling for Pink – Experience Vegas at Tullymore,” 7:00 p.m. - 11 p.m. – Tullymore Golf Resort
- October 19, 2013: General Federation of Women’s Club Home Tour, 10:00 a.m. - Big Rapids
- October 19. 2013: “Pink in the Rink” FSU Hockey, 7:07 p.m. - Ewigleben Ice Arena
- October 20, 2013: Tuba Bach – Bluegrass Jubilee - Raymond and Ruth McLain and Mike Stevens, 4:00 p.m. – Big Rapids High School Auditorium
- October 29, 2013: Wheatlake Education Series, 6:00 p.m. – Holiday Inn Hotel and Conference Center Auditorium - Kim Sorrelle, author of Cry Until You Laugh, shares her cancer journey.
For event details and ticket information, please visit the website or search “Paint Big Rapids Pink” on Facebook.
Maize and Blue Go Pink - October 18, 2013
Come see your favorite Wolverines and Detroiters walk the runway to support breast cancer research at the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center - Cadillac Square, 6:00 p.m. For more information, visit the website.
Making Strides of Lansing - October 26, 2013
The Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk in Lansing takes place on Saturday, October 26th at 11:00 a.m. this year at the Michigan State Capitol. Learn more at the organization’s website.
Dig Pink! Competing for a Cause! - October 24, 2013
The Engadine High School Volleyball team will face the Newberry Girls Volleyball Games to raise money for Breast Cancer Research on Thursday, October 254h at 6pm in the Engadine School Gym. There will be raffles, food, and fun! Last year's Dig Pink! Event at Engadine High School raised $5,000! For more information call Kathy Miller, Engadine Girls Volleyball coach at 906-477-8090.
Traverse City, MI
Remembrance Run – October 5, 1013
The Remembrance Run, organized by the women of the Traverse City Track Club, will be held at Timber Ridge RV Recreation Resort on October 5, 2013. In 2012, the event raised $25,200 for the Women’s Cancer Fund. For more information, visit the event website.
Saginaw Spirit vs. Barrie Colts PINK OUT Game - October 26, 2013
The Saginaw Spirit will be playing their annual PINK OUT game on October 26, 2013 at 7:11 p.m. Five dollars from each fundraising ticket supports the St. Mary's of Michigan Breast Care Fund. For more information, visit the website.
Paint Our Towns Pink – September 22, 2013 – October 18, 2013
The Southwest Michigan affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure is partnering with several area organizations to host a series of events in late September and throughout October called “Paint Our Towns Pink.” Some “Paint Our Towns Pink” events include:
- October 3, 2013: Give Back Dinner, 5:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m. - Bistro on the Boulevard, St. Joseph, will serve up its signature appetizers, entrees and desserts and donate a portion of the evening earnings to Komen for the Cure. Learn more at their website.
- October 5, 2013: Ride for the Cure, 11:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. - Many of the Carousel’s 48 figures and two chariots will be decorated in pink as they spin under thousands of pink lights, but the featured figure to ride will be the hot pink flamingo. A portion of today’s ride earnings will go to the local Komen organization. Visit the website for details.
- October 10, 2013: Night Out in Your Little Black Dress, 6:00 p.m.- 11:00 p.m. - Silver Beach Shadowland Ballroom, St. Joseph. This fun-filled evening includes guest speaker, Elissa Ashwood, entertainment by Sunset Coast Dancers, photo booth, silent auction and wine pull ($10 minimum value of bottle). For information, call 269-235-9120 or visit the website.
- October 18, 2013: Art Hop, Arts District, Benton Harbor, 6:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m. Artists and galleries will serve pink cocktails, pink punch, pink cookies and offer plenty of opportunities to contribute to the local Komen for the Cure affiliate. For more information, visit thew website.
- October 18,2013: Pink Football Game, Dickinson Stadium, St. Joseph High School, St. Joseph, 7:00 p.m. The St. Joe Bears will wear pink when they take on Portage Central. Donations will be taken to help support area women seeking a cure for breast cancer. For directions and more information, visit the website.
- October 20, 2013: Mother/Daughter Princess Luncheon, 11:30 a.m.-2:30 a. m. - The Heritage Museum & Cultural Center, St. Joseph. This is a lovely time for mothers, grandmothers and aunts to spend time with their favorite princesses. Dress up in pink and enjoy royal foods and entertainment. Tickets are available at The Heritage Museum, Silver Beach Center and The Coast radio station.
For more information about each event or to make a donation, call 269-341-4209, email email@example.com or visit the website.
South Haven, MI
Something to Talk About: Celebrate Women - October 24, 2013
Shoreline Wellness & Rehabilitation Center - 950 S Bailey Ave, South Haven, 6:30 p.m. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month, join us as we celebrate women at our Health & Wellness Seminar on October 24 at 6:30pm. This event will include an informal discussion on Women’s Health with Dr. Pamela Sanchez, a healthy cooking class with Registered Dietitian Nicole Morrissey, a raffle prize, and other fun activities to increase awareness! For more information, visit the website.
St. Clair County, MI
Making Strides of St. Clair County – October 12, 2013
The Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk in St. Clair County takes place on Saturday, October 12th this year at St. Clair Community College. Learn more at the organization’s website.
These are just some of the events happening around the state. What events are happening in your neighborhood?
Learn more about National Breast Cancer Awareness Month here. To find events happening in your local community, please visit the Making Strides website.
We encourage you to use the #puremipink hashtag on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook to share your story and photos throughout the month for a chance to appear on the www.michigan.gov/socialmedia website.
Have you been affected by breast cancer? Share your story with us below, or let us know how you’re working to help spread awareness in your community.