In fact, pizza has a long and rich history in the state of Michigan.
Two of the top four pizza chains in the country – Domino’s and Little Caesars – originated in southeast Michigan. And, if you were lucky enough to make it to the Humungus Fungus fest in Crystal Falls earlier this month, you would have had a chance to see, and taste, the world’s largest mushroom pizza, a fungus-topped concoction 10 feet long by 10 feet wide.
If there’s one food Michiganders across the state know and love, it’s pizza.
If you’re looking for the best pizza in Michigan, here are a few suggestions for where to grab a slice or a pie.
- In our unofficial poll of Twitter and Facebook fans earlier this year for best pizza in Michigan, Fricano’s was the clear winner. The original location in Grand Haven opened in 1949 and is still open to this day, but if you can’t make it there, four additional locations on the west side of the state serve up the famous pies.
- The deep dish pizza at Buddy’s recently earned a coveted spot on GQ’s list of the top pizzas in the country. The square pizza with chewy, buttery corners is typical of “Detroit-style” pizza.
- This Lansing institution has served Italian and American food since 1960. Its current kitchen has grown to five times its original size in order to keep up with customer demand.
- Equally renowned for their subs as well as their pizzas, devoted fans have been known to crave their special sauce.
Vivio’s – 4531 S. Straits Highway, Indian River, MI 49749
- Care for some antlers with your pizza? The hunting lodge-inspired decor of this popular pizza stop makes for a unique dining experience that’s Pure Michigan.
- Pizza Sam’s is a favorite of Alma College students, so don’t be surprised if you see one or twenty when you stop by for a bite.
- In a town known for its chicken dinners, Tiffany’s stands apart as a favorite spot for the locals to enjoy a pizza and catch the game on one of the big screens. PastaPitza is a Tiffany’s original, a rich blend of pasta dishes on their homemade pizza crust.
- A Luzerne institution, this log cabin restaurant features a full kitchen and bar and serves up some amazing pizzas in a memorable setting.
- With locations in East Lansing and Ann Arbor, and kitchens that stay open until 4am, Pizza House has served thousands of hungry Spartans and Wolverines over the years.
We’ve only highlighted a few of the many delicious pizza restaurants in the state, and we know there are plenty more where these came from. Who do you think deserves the award for the “Best Pizza in Pure Michigan”? Leave your favorites in the comments section.