Where’s the best scenic route to catch the crimson color-action of Autumn in Pure Michigan? Truth: absolutely everywhere! But we happen to be partial to the seasonal splendor that can only be experienced when you Go Great Lakes Bay… like spending a day immersed in Mother Nature’s bounty on a custom Johnny Panther Quest Adventure Trip, marveling aboard the majestic BaySail Appledore Tall Ships as cozy quilts and chili soothe your soul, pedaling the Great Lakes Bay Regional Rail Trail with the scent of fresh, fall foliage in the air - that’s how you truly seize the day by taking the #PureMichigan #ScenicRoute – whether by boat, by bike, or by car!
1. Completely Unique Trips
Why do people flock to Johnny Panther Quests Color Tours by Boat? Because there’s literally nothing like it in the state (or anywhere else, for that matter)! Mother Nature is the conductor of this show, so no two Johnny Panther eco-tours are the same: this group witnessed a bald eagle, this outing included a mesmerizing sunset …
2. Aboard Beauty
The Great Lakes Bay Region is home to Bay Sail, and the Appledore IV a.k.a. the majestic tall ship vessel and magnificent scenic route to Fall colors in Pure Michigan. Water-kissed viewing pleasure, epic surroundings, hot cider, chili, cornbread-it doesn’t get better than this, folks!
3. Wonder Found in Waterways
- Single kayak rates differ from tandem kayak rates
- Group excursions, fishing outings and even overnight adventures will surely enhance your viewing pleasure.
And if paddling doesn’t sound like your kind of serenity, boarding Bay City Boat Lines’ Princess Wenonah and/or Islander will bring the scenery to you with nary a finger lifted. Cruise through their Calendar of Events for times, dates and prices of Fall Color Boat Rides, and prepare to ride off into the sunset.
4. On A Bicycle Built For ‘You’
Even if you’re from halfway across the globe, surely the place to bike for Fall beauty is the Great Lakes Bay Regional Rail Trail.
A note before riding: The Great Lakes Bay Regional Rail Trail is magical in its own right and it was forged to connect these not-to-be-missed opportunities for beauty:
- Bay County River Walk/RailTrail: 17.5 miles through Bay City, including the Bay City State Recreation Area
- Saginaw Valley Rail Trail: 11 miles from St. Charles to Saginaw Township’s Center Road Bridge Path
- Pere Marquette Rail Trail: 30 miles from Midland to Coleman, with a loop around Chippewa Nature Center
5. All Kinds of Fall Fun
With 1,200 acres and over 15 miles of trails, Chippewa Nature Center is both massive in size and opportunity to take the scenic route(s) and experience spectacular displays of the season.
- Hike and bike the trails; explore the Ecosystem Gallery and Wildlife Viewing Area
- Gather at events from Homestead Sunday in September to Autumn at the Wigwam in October for all kinds of Fall fun, too.
Roll down your window during this car ride, honey. You’re in for quite a show while meandering along, driving through Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge-yes, driving!
Here’s to enjoying every leaf crunch underfoot and crimson color by boat, bike, or from the passenger seat! Savor the #scenicroute when you #gogreatlakesbay, and enjoy every moment of Pure Michigan in all her Fall glory!
Meet The Blogger: Jen W. O’Deay
Jen is a freelance writer in Bridgeport, Mich. She specializes in writing that connects, delivered through feature articles, branded content and marketing copy. You can find Jen reading, always, camping with her family, or at: www.feelthesewords.com