Dawn LaVigne shares her “Pure Michigan Moment,” a two-week road trip and camping excursion along the shore of Michigan last summer.
Last summer, we drove the entire shore of Michigan. Our two-week camping trip began on the west side of the state. From there, we drove north and east, into the Upper Peninsula and then back down into the Lower Peninsula and along Lake Huron. It was two weeks of water, sand, forests, blue skies, sunshine, history and family fun!
We explored so many wonderful places, I’ll just share some of the highlights:
- Kitch-iti-kipi or Big Spring in Palms Book State Park, just west of Manistique, is Michigan’s largest spring. The spring is crystal-clear emerald hue, which allows you to see the bottom (more than 40 feet down!).
- Roadside parks along US-2 allowed for stretching and exercise along the shore.
- Tahquamenon Falls was hassle-free, and the drive to Paradise was stunning. My boys loved hearing tales of danger and bravery on the lakes at the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum in Whitefish Point. Lake Superior is cold, blue and majestic, and the shoreline near the museum is a lovely stretch of sand, driftwood, smooth stones and cool breezes.
- We took time to visit the impressive Soo Locks in Sault Ste. Marie.
- Magnificent Mackinac Island was a full day of history and discovery!
- Crossing the Mighty Mac into Mackinaw City, we visited the reenactments at Colonial Michilimackinac and then climbed to the top of the Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse. We had tons of fun zip-lining through Historic Mill Creek Discovery Park before spending a quiet evening in Alpena.
- Along the shores of Lake Huron in Rogers City is Michigan’s little known world record: The World’s Largest Limestone Quarry! The boys were fascinated and dubbed it Michigan’s Mini Grand Canyon!
There were so many other fantastic spots and activities on our Trip Around the Mitten; it’s so hard to choose just a few. We are through and through a true Michigander family!
Dawn, from Grand Rapids, wrote about her “Pure Michigan Moment” for Michigan Travel Ideas. This month, Dawn’s family will be returning to the Tawas Bay area to visit family and enjoy beautiful Lake Huron. “We love Oscoda Beach – they have a fabulous board walk and a nice clean sandy beach. The perfect summer stroll can also be found at the East Tawas Marina and their Newman Street shops, such a quaint small town experience.”
Read about more family camping vacations: