Grand Rapids is many things- one of USA TODAY’s Top Ten Best Beer Towns, #6 on Livability’s 10 Best Beer Cities, and the winner of the Beer City USA vote in the final year of the competition in 2013. It can now add ‘Home of the Brewsader’ to that list of accolades as Experience Grand Rapids pilots GR’s first ever Beer City Passport experience.
What’s a “Brewsader”?
Brewsader is a brand new term coined by the inventors of the passport. It refers to a person who is an advocate, enthusiast, and imbiber of great beer, on a never ending quest for the perfect brew. This has come to describe not just locals, but also the 13,000 annual visitors coming to the city annually just for beer.
“Beer tourism has been a key contributing factor in the tourism growth we have seen the past few years,” said Janet Korn, CTA, Senior Vice President of EXGR. “The Beer City Passport will give beer enthusiasts a new way of documenting and experiencing the Grand Rapids beer scene.” Brewsader status is earned during the completion of the Beer City Passport challenge.
How does the Passport do this?
The passport, which is actually passport-sized, includes 35 pages of valuable Beer City information. Visitors can see what area hotels offer as Beer Experience Packages, how to brewery hop responsibly, and where some of GR’s finest beers can be found.
There are 23 participating breweries marked on the passport and the challenge is to visit 8 of them by October 2016. As you taste and try new breweries, you will get your passport stamped by your brewer/pubtender/server! With eight stamps, Brewsaders can either mail in their passport information sheet or visit the GOSite in the Downtown Destination Neighborhood to exchange the Brewsader page for a t-shirt!
5 Things to know about the Beer City Passport:
1. It’s free! You can pick one up starting Monday, October 19th at any participating brewery or at the GOSite in downtown GR.
2. Participants must be aged 21 and up and can all receive a free Brewsader t-shirt after visiting just 8 out of 23 breweries on the map.
3. The enthusiast’s app Untappd has released a Brewsader badge for any beer lover who drinks five GR area brews.
4. The Beer City Passport pairs wonderfully with the Beer City Ale Trail Map- this map is a comprehensive look at the craft beverage locations all over West Michigan!
5. Grand Rapids is the perfect place to start or continue your never ending quest for the perfect brew- Go forth and enjoy the craft beer this city has to offer!
What do you love most about Grand Rapid’s beer scene?