Find Greenbush Activities:
Play | Stay | Plan | Shop | Events | Deals
A historic and beautiful spot in eastern Alcona County. Greenbush is an unincorporated community on US 23 a few miles south of Harrisville on the shores of Lake Huron. In 1847-48, Crosier Davison, of Detroit, built a fishery and cooperage at what was then known as the Sliding Banks of the Au Sable. In 1862, Morris & McDougal, of New York State, bought government pine timber land and set up lumber operations. The area became known as "McDougal's Landing".
Later, William Conklin built a sawmill here, and in about 1867, at the suggestion of an employee from Greenbush, New York, the name was changed. A post office named "Greenbush" opened on May 16, 1870, with James Burton as postmaster. The name of the office was changed to "Perfection" on June 6, 1917, and changed back to Greenbush on January 8, 1921.