Find Lupton Activities:
Play | Stay | Plan | Shop | Events | Deals
Lupton is an unincorporated village in Rose Township in Ogemaw County. The post office was established around 1895-96 and the villiage was laid out in about 20 square blocks. Joshua Rakestraw was the postmaster in 1905. It had a population of 150 in 1917 and had a bank, post office, two hotels, two general stores, school, meat market, livery barn, drug store, barber shop and sawmill. Linton E. Cossand was the postmaster. A huge log building “Graceland Ballroom” was erected on the corner in the late 1920’s. During the day of prohibition it was a speakeasy and hideout for the infamous “Purple Gang” of Detroit.