Michigan's historic sites, museums and tours have something for everyone. Check out a marine sanctuary ,ancient rock carvings, and ethnic heritage--Michigan has a variety of historic sites and museums. Explore an abandoned mine, a towering lighthouse, or a genuine stagecoach inn; witness the changing of the guard or fire a cannon at a historic fort; participate in a history lesson or glimpse into the lives of early Native American artists -- Michigan has a variety of history museums that provide a look at the many places and faces of Michigan history.
The Michigan Historical Center, the flagship of the Michigan Historical Museum System, surrounds visitors with the state’s history from prehistoric times through the late twentieth century. Twenty-six permanent galleries and a special exhibit gallery are located on five levels. A three story relief map of Michigan greets the visitor in the museum's main atrium. Walk through an Upper Peninsula copper mine, stroll along a 1920s street, explore the 1957 Detroit Auto Show--and more. The facility also houses a museum store, which offers a large selection of book, a number of Michigan-made products and a selections jewelry, crafts, art and other Michigan-related gift items.
Michigan Historical Museum System offers a number of other historic sites and museums to educate, inspire, and amuse you all summer long. Below is just a list of the many state historic sites, museums and tours across Michigan.
Click on the museum facilities below to find out new programs and summer events.
- Civilian Conservation Corps Museum, Roscommon
- Father Marquette National Memorial, St. Ignace
- Fort Wilkins and Copper Harbor Lighthouse, Cooper Harbor
- Fayette Historic Townsite, Fayette
- Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center, Alpena
- Hartwick Pine Logging Museum, Grayling
- Mann House, Concord
- Mackinac State Historic Parks, Mackinac Island & Mackinaw City
- Michigan Iron Industry Museum, Negaunee
- Quincy Mine Tours, Hancock
- Sanilac Petroglyphs, Cass City
- Tawas Point Lighthouse, East Tawas
- Walker Tavern, Brooklyn
For a complete list of Pure Michigan museums with everything from art centers to science institutes and from hands-on gathering places to one-of a kind collectables, visit our michigan.org museum listings.