Located in Lake Michigan 17 statute miles off-shore on the southernmost tip of South Fox Island, Leelanau County. Built in 1867 to secure the northern entrance to the Manitou Passage, the light station was abandoned and left to decay in 1959. In cooperation with various organizations and authorities including the Michigan Department of Natural Resources (DNR), the Fox Island Lighthouse Association (FILA), founded in 2004, is now trying to preserve the buildings and to protect the historic character and landscape of the state-owned South Fox Island Light Station.
Sandra Serra Bradshaw, 1360 S. Bay View Trail
Suttons Bay, MI 49682-9663
Phone: (231) 271-0171
Information on color tours, color map and more fall activitiesMore
Join 500,000 other
people who receive the free Pure Michigan e-newsletter.
Get the Official
© 2014 Michigan Economic Development Corporation
300 N. Washington Sq., Lansing, MI 48913
(888) 78-GREAT | (888) 784-7328