The Trading Post complex was established to represent a French pioneer homestead along the old River Raisin. The main building, built in 1789 by Utreau Navarre, is the oldest wooden residence still standing in the state. It is the most complete example of French-Canadian piece-sur-piece construction in the Old Northwest. It has been restored to about 1797. Other buildings include the Navarre-Morris 1810 cookhouse and a replica 1790’s French-Canadian style barn. Grounds open year-round with beehive oven, orchard, on river-front property. Many Michigan native plants are still in the wooded areas, such as viburnum, jewelweed, Joe Pye weed, and more. Buildings currently open only for special events and group tours by appointment. Closed for the season except for grounds and special events.