The site of the original fish hatchery building which began operations in 1921. In 2002, a new hatchery was built one quarter-mile northeast of the current visitor center. Adjacent to the visitor center sits the re-created 1914-1935 Wolverine train car. This historic exhibit depicts how employees of the old Michigan Department of Conservation lived on the train while transporting and stocking fish across the state. Hiking trails. Open daily Memorial Day to Labor Day, the interpretive staff offers tours by reservation only from September through May.