The historic homes on the Water Street Historic Homes are operated through a cooperative effort between the Chippewa County Historical Society, the Sault Historic Sites, and the City of Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan.
Artifacts in the homes are from the collections of the Chippewa County Historical Society. Many items on display were originally owned by the Johnston family.
The Johnston House and the Henry Rowe Schoolcraft office located on Water Street in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan give visitors a first hand look into the lives of the early fur traders and settlers by providing a historically accurate portrayal of their homes and lives.
Visitors to the Water Street Historic Homes can tour the home of John Johnston, one of the first European settlers to the area. The office of Henry Rowe Schoolcraft, the first Indian Agent to the area is also on display. Bishop Frederic Baraga's house in presently under restoration
The Kemp Coal Dock Office is a museum devoted to the industrial history of Sault Ste. Marie. It is located adjacent to the downtown marina. It is the second oldest house in Michigan, constructed in 1796. Call for information.
415 Water Street
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
Toll Free: (888) 744-7867
With over 150 breweries and brewpubs across the state, Michigan has the perfect pour for those looking to expand their horizons and savor every sip.
Join 500,000 other
people who receive the free Pure Michigan e-newsletter. View the Current Issue
Get the Official
© 2016 Michigan Economic Development Corporation
300 N. Washington Sq., Lansing, MI 48913
(888) 78-GREAT | (888) 784-7328