During the 1930s, Paris Park had temporary bunkhouses that sheltered government workers for the WPA. The bunkhouses were eventually torn down, but the metal frames from the workers' beds remained, stored in barns. Decades passed. Then, in 1980, high school students from the Mecosta-Osceola Career Center in nearby Big Rapids -- or from Chippewa Hills High School in sort-of-nearby Remus (accounts vary) -- discovered the beds and decided that the metal would make good raw material for an engineering and welding project. This is just past the park's fish hatchery. On the other side of the fish hatchery stands a mysterious 2-D Indian, a Chippewa Chief that was carved in 1937.