Operated by the Buchanan Preservation Society, Pears Mill is open on Saturdays from Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day. Constructed during 1857 and 1858, the Mill has been an integral part of Buchanan’s Downtown ever since. Pears Mill is the last surviving of thirteen water powered mills that once dotted Buchanan’s Downtown.
An operating over shot water wheel powers the Mill grindstone, producing yellow and white corn meal. Exhibits include milling related tools and machinery, maps, photographs, artifacts, and a collection of historic commercial signs which once graced Buchanan businesses. Over the course of the summer, basket weavers, spinners, rug makers, wood carvers, and musicians with historic instruments, offer a series of demonstrations at the Mill. On special occasions, Presidents James Buchanan and Abraham Lincoln have been sighted at the Mill.
Pears Mill is located in the Buchanan Downtown National Register Historic District at the foot of Mill Alley, above the Farmers’ Market, between Oak Street and Days Avenue.