McGulpin Point Lighthouse is located two miles west of downtown Mackinaw City and has been restored to period decor by Emmet County. McGulpin Point was one of Michigan's first deeded properties, and was important grounds for Odawa (Ottawa) Indians, French and British settlers in the Straits of Mackinac. It was an operational lighthouse from 1869-1906, when it became privately owned. Emmet County purchased the lighthouse and its acreage in 2008 and has worked to restore it to period decor. Gift shop, docents on site. No admission charge. Open mid-May to mid-October, with special events throughout the year (check web). In 2010, McGulpin once again became an operational Aid to Navigation on the NOAA chart map.