The Michigan Theatre is the only remaining historic movie palace in Jackson County. Opened in 1930, it was the last and largest of several movie palaces built in Jackson. It was also the first air-conditioned building in Jackson, a feature that brought in the summer crowds.
Designed in the Spanish Baroque style, the Michigan Theatre features ornate plasterwork, marble, imported antique artwork and walnut paneling. The terra-cotta facade and its rooftop cupola resemble a church from 18th century Spain. The Theatre's original appearance has changed little since it opened. Restoration and renovation efforts began in 1993, and over $1.5 million has been spend on the project. Today, while still in the process of being fully renovated, the Michigan screens classic and art films, runs a popular summer film series for kids, hosts a number of special events and the occasional film premiere, and its stage is host to concerts and local theater productions. For info on upcoming events visit our web site.
124 N. Mechanic Street
Jackson, MI 49201
Reservations: (517) 783-0962
Phone: (517) 783-0811
Fax: (517) 783-0989
An interview with The Voice of Pure Michigan, Tim Allen.
Join 500,000 other
people who receive the free Pure Michigan e-newsletter.
Get the Official
© 2016 Michigan Economic Development Corporation
300 N. Washington Sq., Lansing, MI 48913
(888) 78-GREAT | (888) 784-7328