The most visible reminder of early Native American inhabitants is the Ogaukawning Church. Established in 1847, the Indian Mission Church was built by Methodist missionaries to serve the Chippewa Indians at the Kawkawlin settlement in northern Bay County. The church and its grounds were the social and religious center of the Kawkawlin Chippewa community until the late 1940's. Today the Mission Church is under the trusteeship of the remaining members of the off-reservation Chippewas. It is currently being restored by a small group of individuals who want to maintain the integrity of the Chippewa's place in the history of this community.