11 Facts About Michigan International Speedway
Think you know NASCAR? Test your knowledge with these lesser-known facts about the Michigan International Speedway (MIS) in Brooklyn.
The 40 trams that are used at MIS to bring fans from the parking lots to the track were the same trams used at the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta.
1. Olympic Trams
2. A Special Honorary President2015 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series champion Kyle Busch is the honorary president of the MIS Kids Club!
3. The Largest Michigan CampgroundThere are more than 8,000 campsites at MIS – making it the largest registered campground in the State of Michigan.
Jeff Gordon currently holds the track qualifying record at MIS, being recorded at 206.558 mph in 2014.
4. Jeff Gordon’s Record
5. Cale Yarborough’s Lap RecordCale Yarborough is the driver who has led the most laps at MIS in the track's history. In his career, Yarborough led for an astounding 1,308 laps when racing at MIS.
6. Parking is FreeParking is always free! Guests can also bring in their own food and beverages. Parking lots open two hours before the grandstand, so there is plenty of time for tailgating.
7. The Fastest TrackMIS is NASCAR’s fastest racetrack! MIS is superfast due to the repave in 2012 and long straightaways on the track that let drivers reach their highest speeds.
David Pearson has won the most Cup poles at MIS with 10.
8. The Most Cup Poles
9. NASCAR XFINITY Race WinnerIn 2016, Daniel Suarez won the NASCAR XFINITY Series race at MIS! It was the first time a NASCAR national touring series event was won by a driver born in Mexico.
10. MIS Hosts Festivals and Events
11. There Are Plenty of Things to Do in Brooklyn