The Canal Run was started in 1975 and is the premier running event in Michigan’s Keweenaw Peninsula. Following the rolling hills along the Portage Lake Shipping Canal, the Canal Run offers four distances for runners and walkers of all levels, including a half marathon, 10-mile run, 10-mile walk, five-mile run, five-mile walk and two-mile fun run/walk.
- 10-mile walk: 7:15 a.m. at McLain State Park
- Half Marathon: 7:30 a.m. at Koskela Road
- 10-mile Bob Olson Memorial run: 8:00 a.m. at McLain State Park
- 5-mile run: 8:50 a.m. at High Point Road
- 5-mile walk: 8:55 a.m. at High Point Road
- 2-mile fun run/walk: 9:20 a.m. at Cemetery Road near Swedetown Creek