Fall in Love With These Unique Northeast Michigan Wedding Venues
Love is in the air as we draw into the season of weddings, engagements, and wedding planning. Michigan is filled with beautiful, unique, unusual, and out-of-the-box locations for a wedding ceremony or reception. Looking for a venue in spectacular Northeast Michigan? Check out our list of amazing Northeast Michigan wedding venues that includes lighthouses and museums, gorgeous islands, a rooftop, and even a historic flour mill!
2. Presque Isle Lodge – Presque Isle
Presque Isle Lodge, with its large stone fireplace and hand-hewn pine logs, offers a cozy and inviting atmosphere with a pioneering spirit. Whether you hold your ceremony in front of the fireplace surrounded by family and friends, outdoors on the hill near Grand Lake, or in a wooded area with serene Lotus Pond as a background, the Presque Isle Lodge will provide an unforgettable backdrop for your wedding ceremony, rehearsal dinner and reception. Have your bridal party stay the night in the delightful rooms upstairs, and enjoy brunch together the morning after the wedding. Constructed during the “golden age” of rustic architecture of the 1920s to 1940s, the lodge houses the largest known collection of Habitant furniture.
3. Fireside Inn – Presque Isle
Founded in 1908, this relaxing bed and breakfast resort is located on beautiful Grand Lake in Presque Isle. Ideal for a unique and intimate wedding celebration, all of your guests can stay for the night at one of the 19 quaint cabins, or in private rooms at the Inn. For the reception dinner choose from the smaller dining room area, or set up a tent outside near the lake for more space. Wrap up the special day with your family and friends by enjoying a bonfire under the stars on the shores of Grand Lake.
Create everlasting memories at the historic Elowsky Grist Mill and Hemlock Hills on Mill Pond. This newly renovated property offers elegant, rustic ambiance with modern amenities. Hold your ceremony on the banks of the Thunder Bay River with the mill as your backdrop, and your reception in the majestic wood planked barn adorned with wagon wheel chandeliers. Hemlock Hills provides beautiful photo opportunities with the river winding through the property, rolling fields, and the historic Grist Mill standing tall.
You will also find a spacious indoor pavilion with a serving kitchen, dining area, bar and bathrooms, all constructed in barn wood. Invite your guests to stay the night at Hemlock Hills, with sleeping accommodations for 60 people. Enjoy the large fire pit and wooden porch swings tucked in along the river, listen to the river run, inhale the fresh country air, and gaze into the starry night.
6. Northern Shore Lodge – HillmanNorthern Shore Lodge is nestled peacefully between two beautiful lakes, Long Lake and Ess Lake. The crystal clear waters surround the groomed grounds of this English style mansion. Hold your ceremony on the lake shore, and your reception under a tent on the other side of the mansion. With nine guest rooms, five bathrooms, a fully equipped kitchen, dining area with large open deck, indoor hot tub, parlor, and spacious entertainment room with natural fireplaces, your guests are sure to enjoy a relaxing weekend celebrating your marriage.
Churchill Pointe Inn is a historic 1920’s era country inn centered on a picturesque peninsula, overlooking beautiful Hubbard Lake. Use the sparkling lake as your backdrop and Churchill Pointe Inn as your stage. Hold the ceremony either at the arbor or along the lakeshore. An in-house chef will help you design a personalized menu for your reception dinner that can be held on a large outdoor deck, on the lush lawn, or in the Inn’s dining room. There are eight rooms available for overnight lodging.
9. Besser Museum for Northeast Michigan – AlpenaTake a step back in time and hold your wedding ceremony in the historic Spratt Church behind the Besser Museum. These eight acres of peaceful grounds are located in the North River District of Alpena next to Alpena Community College, and close to lodging properties. Always wanted a night at the museum? Create a night to remember and host your wedding reception or cocktail party inside the 42,000 square foot Besser Museum building. Built in the 1960’s, this facility features architecture with a retro-flair and includes a two-story swinging pendulum, a planetarium, an avenue of circa 1800’s old Alpena shops, and a remarkably unique outdoor fountain.
10. Rotary Island Mill Park – Alpena
This small hidden island is tucked away on the Thunder Bay River, near the Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary. Cross the charming foot bridge and find yourself enveloped in quiet respite with blooming flowers, a canopy of trees, peaceful water, and a delightful gazebo. Hold your intimate ceremony on the Island and reception at one of the nearby facilities just across the river. (#9, #11, #12, #13, #15) Call the Alpena City Clerk’s Office at 989-354-1720 for park information.
12. Lady Michigan Alpena Shipwreck Tours – AlpenaArrange a private charter out into Shipwreck Alley! Whether it be a rehearsal dinner, wedding ceremony, or part of a wedding reception, the Alpena Shipwreck Tour Cruises offer an experience not to be forgotten! You’ll find the captain and crew very accommodating on this double decker boat. Enjoy the wind in your hair and the sun on your face on the upper deck, with seating ideal for a smaller ceremony. Have a cocktail hour right on the boat to celebrate! With two bathrooms, an enclosed bottom deck, and glass viewing wells for gazing into the clear water, this will be one festivity you won’t forget.
13. Art in the Loft – AlpenaArt in the Loft fine arts center and gallery is located on the third floor of the historic Center Building in downtown Alpena. The gallery has over 7,000 square feet of open loft space with original wood floors, brick walls, and a stunning bird’s eye view of Thunder Bay through the plethora of large windows. Between the authentic old industrial style and the great art pieces adorning the walls, it doesn’t take much effort to turn this loft into a sophisticated wedding paradise! A modern kitchen area is also available for catering use.
14. Island Park – Alpena
A true hidden treasure, the 17-acre Island Park is surrounded by a 500-acre Thunder Bay River wildlife sanctuary in the middle of the city. A stately handcrafted wooden water tower and covered bridge mark the entry to the island.
Each time you cross over the walking bridge and step foot on the island, you feel as though you are miles away from your concerns; finding refuge deep in nature’s wonderland. Hold a small outdoor ceremony on the bluff overlooking the stunning sanctuary, and then host a larger reception celebration at one of the other nearby locations listed. Call the Alpena City Clerk’s Office at 989-354-1720 for park information.