Fort Wilkins Historic State Park
Built in 1844, Fort Wilkins was intended to keep law and order during the Copper Rush. The fort tells the story of life on the northern frontier during the mid-1800s. The park also includes the Copper Harbor lighthouses built in 1866 and 1868. Historical interpretation, including the Living History program, is provided by the Michigan History Center from mid-June through mid-August.
Fort Wilkins is open daily, 8:30 a.m. to dusk, from mid-May through mid-October.
Located in the northern Keweenaw Peninsula, Fort Wilkins Historic State Park features camping (some sites with 50 amp service) and day-use facilities. Fort Wilkins became a state park in 1923. Extensive restoration work and development began in the 1930s under the Work Project Administration. Great Lakes beach safety.
One mile east of Copper Harbor on US-41.
|Season(s) of Operation||