Central is essentially a Copper Country ghost town. One of the few remaining buildings is the Central Mine Methodist Church. A simple wood structure constructed by the miners in 1868 with materials donated by the mine owners. The once prosperous Central Copper Mine closed in 1898 and the population of miners and families moved on to other opportunities for work. In 1907 several prominent men in the area developed an idea to hold a reunion/homecoming service in the old Central Church. All former residents and workers were invited and encouraged to bring food and spend time visiting. The event was so well received and successful that the decision was made to hold a second Reunion service the following year. That event was also deemed a success and a third Reunion Service was planned for 1909. Initially the Reunion was attended only by former mine workers and residents. Eventually, as the original attendees began to pass on, their children and grandchildren embraced the tradition of the Reunion which continues to this day. This year we will be gathering on July 30 at 9am and 11am to celebrate the 111th Reunion. We welcome not only descendants of the Central community but any and all with any interest. The service is non-denominational with a definite emphasis on the historical surroundings that brought Central to life. More information can be found at centralminemethodistchurch.org/ or on our Facebook page Central Mine Church.